When choosing a place to stay in wine country, don’t get stuck in the ordinary. Take a look at these 10 romantic lodgings and research the area you want to be in: the hustle and bustle of Santa Rosa, the quaint walkable town of Healdsburg, the backwoods charm of Guerneville, etc. Make sure to weigh your amenity options – would rather have a fireplace or views of the redwoods? or both?
- Fern Grove Cottages. A cozy cabin getaway tucked in the redwoods, these cottages give you the ultimate romantic feeling. What can be more romantic than cuddling up by the bedside fireplace with a bottle of wine? And there really is no need to leave with a Spa tub in the room!
- boon hotel+spa. This modern hotel has sleek rooms and a rustic chicken pen (yes, with real chicks!). Lay poolside or take one of the many bikes for a spin. Just down the road is the Armstrong Woods where you can take a breathtaking walk among majestic redwoods.
- Bella Villa Messina. For the European treatment, this bed and breakfast offers rooms styled in the Edwardian turn of the 18-century style. Sleep well in your 4-poster bed and take a soak in your Jacuzzi tub. A private deck overlooks the beautiful town of Healdsburg. Take a stroll of the grounds hand in hand and maybe lay a hand on the llamas grazing the area.
- Rio Nido Lodge. A beautiful colonial home that is tucked away in the tiny town of Rio Nido, right outside of Guerneville. This lodge has an old soul and privacy. But if you are looking for some old honkytonk town fun, you can take a stroll to the Rio Nido Roadhouse where the local folks get a little rowdy with live music on Saturdays.
- Avalon Bed and Breakfast. This is where backwoods cabin meets elegant in Sebastopol. The hippest spot in Sonoma County with the Barlow’s appearance and the inhabitants’ existence. You can enjoy a secluded and luxurious stay for your blossoming romance.
- Farmhouse Inn. Known all over Sonoma County as one of the luxurious resorts around. Off the beaten path but worth the drive, the Farmhouse Inn is exactly what it sounds like: a farmhouse. With a renowned one Michelin star restaurant, you won’t have to go far for the delicious farm-to-table Sonoma County cuisine everyone’s talking about.
- Raford Inn. On the corner of Vineyards and Farmland, this little bed and breakfast won’t disappoint. With the spectacular views and the remote setting, you may never want to leave.
- Hotel la Rose. A gem in the old Railroad Square of Santa Rosa, you can walk to everything downtown (including these wineries) and enjoy the pleasant boutiques as well as some yummy fare.
- Camellia Inn. It’s pretty and pink! The Camellia Inn is located right of the quaint Healdsburg plaza where all the romance begins. Stroll through the square side by side enjoying the local boutiques and sweet shops like Moustache bakery and Noble Folk ice cream. After a filling dinner and drinks you can feel safe to walk back to your comfortable bed in the secret garden wonder of a bed and breakfast.
- h2hotel. Also located in Healdsburg, this eco-friendly hotel conserves energy and provides top quality service. Promoting a healthy lifestyle, h2 encourages bike riding with their guest bikes. And when you feel hungry, you can enjoy their locally sourced cuisine as well as the best of the best cocktails at Spoonbar.
Check out the 10 Romantic Restaurants
Feeling hungry? Check out Wine Road’s online cookbook for inspiration. Think you’ve got a winning recipe? Submit your own recipe for a chance to win at Wine Road’s Facebook page! Or find out about more places to visit at www.wineroad.com