It’s that time of year again!
CRAB SEASON!!! Well technically it began November 15, 2014 but there is still Dungeness crab galore throughout Sonoma County.
17,085,545. That’s a pretty large number right? That number represents the pounds of Dungeness crab that was caught in California in the 2014 season. South of the Mendocino/Sonoma border a whopping 10,408,183 pounds were snatched from the sea!
I recently drove up the Sonoma Coast to find myself in the quaint town of Jenner. With the fresh sea breeze blowing in the air, it was just irking me to taste what the ocean had to offer. I found myself in the highly recommended River’s End Restaurant and a Dungeness Crab Tasting Menu in front of my longing face.
Five courses later, I was stuffed with crab and Sonoma County’s beautifully paired wines, including: Balletto’s Gewürztraminer, Dutton-Goldfield’s Chardonnay and Philip Staley’s Viognier.
The shining star of the meal (this is my personal opinion) was the Crab Cake, which was lobster and Dungeness crab meat rolled in Panko breadcrumbs served with truffle cream sauce.
Here are a few other fine-dining suggestions around Northern Sonoma County with delicious wines and crab on the menu:
- John Ash & Co, Dungeness Crab Fritters
- Flavor Bistro, Sautéed Dungeness Crab Cakes
- Chalkboard, Dungeness Crab Tater Tots & Squid Ink Gigli with Dungeness Crab
- Equus Restaurant & Lounge Bar, Dungeness Crab Cakes
- The Brassiere, Dungeness Crab Cakes
- Baci Café & Wine Bar, Cioppino & Al Forno
If you happen to be planning a day trip to the coast, here are some great places to stop for lunch and get your crab fix:
- Spud Point , Crab Sandwich, Crab Cocktail or Crab Cakes
- Tides Wharf and Restaurant
- Lucas Wharf
- Nick’s Cove, Dungeness Crab Mac ‘N’ Cheese
We all know crab and wine go hand in hand, so here are a few events that offer both:
- Sbragia Family Vineyards is throwing a family style feast with fresh Dungeness crab paired with their 91+ point Chardonnay, January 31, 2015.
- Wilson Artisan Wines will be celebrating Dungeness crab for two weekends with a delectable surf and turf menu paired with Pezzi King wines, February 7&8, 14&15.
- Portalupi Wine is starting with appetizers and then serving a 4 course, Italian Family Style Crab Feed accompanied with Portalupi wine. Menu will include Crab, Pesto Pasta, Salad, Garlic Bread & Dessert, February 21, 2015.
- And perhaps the largest wine & crab event in Sonoma, Sonoma County Farm Bureau’s The 26th Annual Great Sonoma Crab and Wine Fest. Last year they raised $50,000 to benefit Sonoma County Farm Bureau’s agricultural education activities, February 7, 2015.
Top Photo Source: http://imgarcade.com/