The Wine Road just launched a new program available to folks who already love and talk about the Wine Road to become certified ambassadors. How cool is that!
What Does It Mean?
One definition of an ambassador is someone who is authorized to speak for or represent a government or organization. Think of a Wine Road Ambassador as the bearer of knowledge about the Wine Road. Someone who cares about and supports the wineries, vineyards, people, and everything else that makes this area so special. Does that sound like you? If so, read on.
How Do You Become An Ambassador?
It’s very simple. Watch a video, read the study guide, and then take a short quiz (open book, of course). That’s it. Once you’ve done those steps, you’ll receive a pin proving you’re a genuine Wine Road Ambassador (it’s mailed to you, so you’ll need to provide your address).
Explore: The Video
The Wine Road can never be accused of being stuffy and neither is the introduction to the Wine Road Ambassador Program via a very special video.
The video is a series of short segments from a variety of folks talking about the Wine Road, the appellations within the Wine Road, the history of the Wine Road, and other organizations that promote Sonoma County and support local businesses.
Here are a few of the video segments:
- Wine Road Executive Director Beth Costa shares some background and history about the Wine Road.
- Owner Hank Wetzel from Alexander Valley Vineyards shares information about the Alexander Valley appellation and some of its history.
- Julie Pedroncelli St. John, president and third generation family member from Pedroncelli Winery, gives an overview of Dry Creek Valley and how her family’s winery has been a part of the wine industry there for almost 100 years.
- Giovanni “Gio” Balistreri, co-owner and winemaker from Russian River Vineyards, talks about Russian River Valley and the “neighborhoods.”
- Owner Joy Sterling from Iron Horse Vineyards explains what makes the Green Valley appellation so special, including how it’s completely surrounded by the Russian River Valley appellation.
Learn: The Study Guide
After viewing the video, the next step is to review the Wine Road Ambassador Study Guide, which is divided into the following sections:
- What is the Wine Road? — defines the organization and its mission
- Wine Road History — the hows and whys of how it started, plus some interesting historical details
- Defining the Wine Road Area — outlines the physical scope of the Wine Road
- Exploring the AVAs within the Wine Road — gives details about the three AVAs
- WineRoad.com — an in-depth look at all the resources and information available on the Wine Road website
- Sustainability — explains how the wineries and vineyards in Sonoma County have stepped up and embraced sustainable farming practices
- Wine Road Insider — details the Wine Road’s insider club and its benefits
- FAQs – On Wines and Vineyards — lists a series of questions and answers that are often asked by folks visiting tasting room along the Wine Road
- Visitor Information & Recommendations — answers to general tourism questions often asked by visitors to this area
Final Step – The Quiz
After you watch the video and review the study guide, the final step is taking a short online quiz. Don’t worry, everything on the quiz comes directly from the study guide. And, it’s an open book test, so you don’t have to remember everything you’ve read, even if we hope you will.
After you take the quiz, you’ll be certified as an official Wine Road Ambassador.
What’s Next? Share
As a Wine Road Ambassador, you’ll be able to share your love for the region with the backing of a deeper knowledge and understanding of the Wine Road and the appellations within it. You can also confidently recommend the Wine Road events, wineries to visit, lodgings to stay at, favorite restaurants, fun recreational activities, and so much more.
The next time someone tells you they’re planning a trip to Northern Sonoma County, you can offer to lend a hand in helping them plan the perfect trip along the Wine Road.
Ready to Become a Wine Road Ambassador?
Are you excited to jump on the Wine Road Ambassador bandwagon? If so, click here and get started on your journey to explore, learn and share!